2019 Commencement: What You Need to Know
"Pomp and Circumstance" is cued up and the caps and gowns are ready. Saint Louis University will graduate its newest alumni this week. Here’s what you need to know before the celebrations begin.
How to Watch SLU's Commencement Ceremonies
See your favorite Billiken become a son or daughter of SLU forever. Saint Louis University graduates are honored at precommencement ceremonies held by their college or school. Precommencement ceremonies start Thursday, May 16 and continue Friday, May 17.
Following the precommencements, all spring graduates and their friends and families will join together for the University’s commencement ceremony Saturday, May 18, in Chaifetz Arena.
Watch the Ceremonies Stream Online
All precommencements held in Chaifetz Arena and the University’s commencement ceremony will stream live online at https://www.slu.edu/commencement/stream.php. Most precommencement ceremonies will also stream on the Facebook page of their respective school or college. SLU Madrid held its commencement ceremony in Spain May 11. See the highlights.
The main commencement ceremony will stream on Saint Louis University’s Facebook page. Archived live streams will be available on the respective Facebook pages under Videos. The University’s commencement ceremony will also be made available on Saint Louis University's YouTube channel. See live updates on commencement day by following Saint Louis University on Twitter or by using #SLU2019.
Commencement Speakers and Honorees
The 2019 Saint Louis University commencement address will be delivered by Randall L. Stephenson, CEO of AT&T. Stephenson will be honored with a Doctor of Commerce from SLU during the ceremony.
Other honorary degree recipients for 2019 include:
- Robert Cardillo, who recently retired as director of the U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- Marie Kenyon, director of the St. Louis Archdiocese’s Peace and Justice Commission and a 1986 graduate of the Saint Louis University School of Law
- Donald Ross, retired chairman of Enterprise
The student address will be delivered by Matthew Prest, 2019 graduate of SLU’s Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology.
Other Events Honoring Graduates
In addition to the precommencement and commencement ceremonies, SLU has two other special events for graduates.
- Baccalaureate Mass
May 16, 6 p.m.
The Baccalaureate Mass is SLU's Catholic celebration of graduates in St. Francis Xavier College Church. Families are invited to attend with their graduates.
- Toast to the Class of 2019
May 16, 7:30 p.m.
SLU's newest graduates raise a glass and mingle with friends, classmates and President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.
SLU Commencement Fast Facts
- Share the News: The official hashtag for commencement week at SLU is #SLU2019. SLU also makes available a commencement news release that can be downloaded and modified, allowing families to share their commencement news with their local newspaper.
- Gifts for Grads: Find diploma frames and other items to commemorate your time on campus at the Saint Louis University Barnes & Noble Bookstore.
- Tassel Trivia: Wondering what all the different colored tassels stand for?
- Apricot: Nursing
- Blue (Light): Education
- Black: Ph.D. and Ed.D. students
- Citron: Social Work
- Crimson: Master of Counseling
- Drab: Business
- Gold: Following graduation, those holding a doctorate may wear this color
- Green: Medicine
- Maroon: Professional Studies
- Mint Green: Allied Health Professions
- Navy: Sociology and Criminal Justice
- Orange: Technology and Engineering
- Peacock Blue: Public Administration
- Purple: Law
- Salmon: Public Health
- Teal: Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Yellow Gold: Science and Aviation
- White: Arts