New Grads Find Satisfaction in Careers Post-SLU
A recently published survey by Career Services has found that 94% of alumni were “satisfactorily occupied” within six months of graduating from Saint Louis University.
The First Destination survey compiled data for August 2017, December 2017 and May 2018 graduates, and collected information about what alumni are doing after completing their degrees.
In addition to the outcomes data, 91% of recent alumni reported using Career Services before graduating and 81% reported completing at least one internship prior to graduation.
Through alumni self-reporting via Handshake and individual outreach and research by Career Services staff members, post-graduation outcomes were collected for 77% of undergraduate alumni graduating during the 2018 fiscal year.
Alumni were considered satisfactorily occupied if they are employed full or part time, continuing their education, participating in long-term volunteerism, active duty military or intentionally choosing not to pursue the aforementioned opportunities.
Of those considered to be satisfactorily occupied, 55% are employed, 36% are continuing their education and 2% are completing long-term volunteerism.
Less than 1% of those surveyed are completing active duty military service, and less than 1% reported that they are not seeking a post-graduation opportunity.
A detailed undergraduate First Destination Survey report for the greater university and individual schools and colleges can be found at Career Services.
Other Survey Insights
- The average reported salary was $46,078.
- St. Louis was the most commonly reported location, followed by Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, Missouri, and Omaha.
SLU alumni are located in 23 different countries and 41 states or territories of the United States.
- Health care organizations ranked as three of the top employers for the alumni surveyed, including BJC Healthcare, SSM Health and Saint Louis University,
- The Boeing Company and Mercy Hospital also ranked high among those employing recent SLU grads.
- Saint Louis University, its School of Medicine and its School of Law were among the top five graduate schools chosen by those surveyed.
Saint Louis University is a Catholic, Jesuit institution that values academic excellence, life-changing research, compassionate health care, and a strong commitment to faith and service. Founded in 1818, the University fosters the intellectual and character development of more than 13,000 students on campuses in St. Louis and Madrid, Spain. Building on a legacy of now more than 200 years, Saint Louis University continues to move forward with an unwavering commitment to a higher purpose, a greater good.