Saint Louis University requires all full-time students to have health insurance. We do offer a University Health Plan (UHP) through Aetna which students are automatically enrolled in if they do not waive the plan with other coverage by the end of open enrollment.
Important Information about Insurance and Billing
You do not need to have UHP to visit the Student Health Center (SHC) on campus. It is perfectly acceptable to stay on an existing plan or to enroll in another plan, though it is very important to know your coverage before you arrive. Here is some information to assist you in making informed decisions about your medical care.
- Student Health utilizes SLUCare physicians – check to see if SLUCare physicians are in your network. Dr. Nancy Z. Delaney* is our Internal Medicine physician and has clinics Monday – Friday at SHC.
- The Student Heath Center bills insurance like any other SLUCare clinic – as a patient you are responsible for co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance, or non-covered services.
- Check with your insurance plan representative to see if you have a deductible, copay, or coinsurance. Otherwise, you may be responsible for all or a large portion of your bill.
- Always have a copy of your insurance card – you will be required to show your card when you check in for an appointment at SHC.
- If you are from out of state, check to make sure you have benefits in Missouri. Some plans may only offer emergent services out of state which may or may not include Urgent Care facilities. Check with your insurance representative if exceptions can be set up ahead of time.
- If you need to name a primary care physician here, we recommend Dr. Nancy Delaney.
- Depending on your plan, your benefits may be different for specialists, mental health, physical therapy, or dietitian services – know your benefits for these services as well.
- Prior to scheduling your visit and Student Health, you should check to see if an authorization or referral is necessary for any type of visit or service.
- Please determine the best billing address for us to keep in our system at the time of service. Our billing system does not interface with Banner, so the address you have with the University for your student account can be different than the address you give us for medical bills.
- Drug screens are $45, and fit tests are $15. They are not billable to insurance and the amounts owed are collected at the time of service before it is performed.
- Any lab work sent out to Quest or LabCorp is billed directly through them. Please contact your insurance provider to find out which lab they will cover, and let our staff know before your visit which lab you prefer. Please see more information about Quest and LabCorp under Services - Lab Work.
- Health insurance can be very confusing – call us with any questions you may have. We are happy to help!
*Dr. Delaney works almost solely at SHC and is suppressed from some health insurance provider dictionaries since they would not refer new patients to her. If they do not find her in their network, check Thomas J. Olsen. If he is in network with your insurance, so are all SLUCare physicians including Dr. Delaney.
Questions? Contact the Student Health Center at 314-977-2323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.