Saint Louis University is proud to be helping create a stronger St. Louis. The University’s daily operations provide ongoing financial benefits to the region, while also preparing the workforce of the future.
According to a recent economic impact study, as major employer in St. Louis, SLU generates an estimated $715 million annually in total economic benefit to the St. Louis Metropolitan Region.
- $1 in every $36 in the City of St. Louis’s General Fund Budget is generated by Saint Louis University.
- SLU is responsible for 6,838 total jobs in the St. Louis Metropolitan Region.
- An estimated $73 million is spent each year by SLU students in the regional economy.
- A single graduating class from SLU represents a future economic impact of $2.7 billion to the region during the next 40 years.
Saint Louis University is one of the region’s largest employers. More than 2,200 faculty members carry out the University’s Jesuit mission by inspiring students, researching in their fields and reaching out to the community. Another 6,000 staff members spearhead and lead programs, actively support the work of our faculty and students and keep the University running smoothly.
SLU’s combined payroll and benefits obligation to staff in the St. Louis Metropolitan Region is more than $150 million.
The quality of SLU’s faculty researchers and strength of its programs attracts out-of-area dollars to the region. During fiscal year 2015, University researchers received $39.6 million in funding from federal agencies, associations, foundations and private sources.
Saint Louis University is a major catalyst for urban renewal in the heart of a remarkable city. The University has funded more than $850 million in campus improvements and expansions during the past 25 years.
Sports and Events
SLU hosts more than 160 sporting events each year, resulting in 10,000 overnight stays and $250 per person spent on lodging, food, souvenirs and more.
Each year, SLU’s students, faculty and staff give more than 1.6 million hours of community service to more than 1,800 organizations, events and individuals in the region.
- Since 1994, SLU’s Health Resource Center, sponsored by second-year medical students, has provided free health services to 1,000 patients annually at an estimated annual value of $200,000.
- Students from SLU’s School of Law provide approximately $3.9 million in free legal consultation annually to the public each year.
- Approximately 500 SLU faculty members provide free consulting services at an average commercial value of $125 per hour.